03 February, 2010

On humiliation

It was a long day. I got next to no sleep last night because the boiler in our church/house (which, I'm convinced, must be at least 200 years old based on the alarming frequency with which it malfunctions) went out, and my room felt like an igloo. As a result, I was hardly functioning at peak capacity today.

Blessedly, I got out of work early and decided to reward myself for making it through by buying myself a cupcake at the train station (side note: the bakery in Penn Station Newark is god's greatest gift to NJ commuters. Everything tastes phenomenal, and it's CHEAP! It will be my downfall, I'm certain.). I selected an enormous monstrosity of devil's food cake, frosting, and rainbow sprinkles, plopped myself down in the PATH train, and dug in. About halfway through the cupcake, I was haunted by the uncomfortable feeling that someone was looking at me. I assessed my surroundings and confirmed that, indeed, most of the people in my car were surveying me with ill-concealed amusement. And then I realized why:

There I sat, devouring what my roommate Ellis would call a "child's confectionary wet dream," rainbow goo smeared all over my mouth and a gob of frosting on my chin, bobbing around in my seat to the music of Paul Simon, and... still wearing my grease-caked, neon yellow safety vest. Which I had conveniently forgotten to take off after work. And then, to top it all off, I was so overcome by the total ridiculousness of the picture, that I burst out laughing as well. 

What's one more lunatic in the mass transit system? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Counter